In August 1994, the 718th Military Intelligence Group
(Provisional) assumed control of Bad Aibling Station in
Germany. The field station was located 35 miles southeast
of Munich, close to the Bavarian Alps.
In 1952, the site first became an Army Security Agency
monitoring station. In 1966, it was designated as the 18th
ASA Field Station with the motto of "Sentinels of
Freedom." In June 1972, as part of ASA's drawdown
in Europe, the station was discontinued and its mission
absorbed by Field Station Augsburg.
Ironically, when Field Station Augsburg closed in 1993, Bad
Aibling re-opened. Over the next decade, the station
supported U.S. peacemaking and peace-keeping operations in
the Balkans. Bad Aibling Station finally closed for good in
"This Week in History" is a feature on the
Command History Office website.
Those with Army Knowledge Online access can go to their
To learn more about the 2012 MI Branch and Corps
Commemoration, go to the public website,