From Monday 4 February National Grid will replace 400 metres of gas mains in Lowes Wong, Wands Close and Dunham Close, Southwell, Nottinghamshire.
The existing iron mains are being replacedwith tough new plastic pipes that have a lifespan of 80 years if left undisturbed in the ground. This essential work will keep gas flowing safely and reliably,ensuring homes and businessesareconnected to the energy they use. The project is expected to last until Friday 8 March 2013.
Project supervisor Martin Woodward said: "National Grid connects people to the energy supplies they need for everyday activities such as heating their homes and cooking. Our vital work will help ensure people continue to enjoy safe and reliable gas supplies in the years ahead."
He added: "We'll do everything we can to deliver this project with minimal disruption to the local community."
To carry out the work safely gas supplies to all houses on Lowes Wong, Wands Close and Dunham Close will be temporarily interrupted. There will also be parking restrictions along Lowes Wong and access will be restricted to Lowes Wong Infants and Primary School.
Contact for media information only:
National Grid Media Relations
National Grid (LSE: NG; NYSE:NGG) is an electricity and gas company that connects consumers to energy sources through its networks. The company is at the heart of one of the greatest challenges facing our society - to create new, sustainable energy solutions for the future and developing an energy system that underpins economic prosperity in the 21st century. National Grid holds a vital position at the centre of the energy system and we 'join everything up'.
In Britain, we run the gas and electricity systems that our society is built on, delivering gas and electricity across the country. In the North Eastern US, we connect more than seven million gas and electric customers to vital energy sources, essential for our modern lifestyles.
National Grid in the UK:
• We own the high-voltage electricity transmission network in England and Wales, operating it across Great Britain
• We own and operates the high pressure gas transmission system in Britain
• Our gas distribution business delivers gas to 11 million homes and businesses
• We also own a number of related businesses including LNG importation, land remediation and metering
• National Grid manages the National Gas Emergency Service free phone line on behalf of the industry - 0800 111 999 (all calls are recorded and may be monitored).